Thursday, March 22, 2012

Christopher Profeta - Life in Pieces - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. Who is your favorite character?
In my debut novel, Life in Pieces, An unemployed stay at home dad who opens the paper one morning to find he is running for congress, a young man struggling to hold onto a life that is slipping away while meeting the love of his life, and a crazy old man who couldn't care about any of this all cross to show that we are never too old to come of age. I’d probably say that the crazy old man character is my favorite.

2. Why is he/she your favorite?
He was so much fun to write. I love the way he and his wife have given up caring about all the silly things that people in their twenties and thirties care about. He doesn’t care what people think about him, he thinks it’s silly how fast the world moves, and he just does what he wants. He has this mentality that he’s lived his live and now it’s time to enjoy his life. There is a scene in which he’s dressed in Hawaiian shirt and shorts, sitting in a beach chair with an umbrella by the side of a busy road just watching traffic go by. It’s my dream to be like that someday.

3. How did you come to create him/her?
To be honest, I really just thought of everything I’d like to be when I get to that age. There’s a lot of wishful thinking going on on my part with this character.

4. When did he/she first enter your mind?
I’ve thought about this person for years. I was probably in college when I realized who this character was and how much I loved him. It wasn’t until about a year or so ago that I actually started to write the character, but he’s been in my head in some form or another for a very long time.

5. Where was he/she given life in the creative process?
When I realized that Life in Pieces was going to take the form that it did – three disconnected narratives about characters and different stages in life – I knew this guy was going to have a place here.

6. What do like the most about him/her and what do you dislike the most about him/her?
I like how free he is. It’s interesting to me to think that it isn’t until we get into the last stages of life that we really are able to understand what it’s really all about. I love that this character is in that place, but I guess I kind of hate that it takes so long to get there.

About the Book

An unemployed stay at home dad who opens the paper one morning to find he is running for congress, a young man struggling to hold onto a life that is slipping away while meeting the love of his life, and a crazy old man who couldn't care about any of this all cross paths in Christopher Profeta's debut novel, Life in Pieces, to show that we are never too old to come of age.

Price: $8.99 eBook/$22.06 Hardcover
Pages: 288
Genre: Literary Fiction
Publisher: Renegade Book and Press
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Buy links: Kindle, Lulu (ebook), Lulu (hardcover)

Author Bio

Chris teaches writing at Macomb Community College and Davenport University. He has had various works published in the Foliate Oak online literary magazine, one of which was nominated for a Pushcart Prize. He attended school at Wayne State University where he was awarded two Loughead-Eldridge Scholarships in Creative Writing, and at Michigan State University where he was a winner of the Jim Cash Creative Writing Award. He lives in Clawson, MI with his wife and two kids.

Connect with Chris

Facebook
Twitter
Website
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment